Outdoor Leadership Intern Training Experience (oLITE)
Come join us for our Outdoor Leadership Internship and embark on a summer of adventure, community building and self-exploration while developing your skills professionally and personally.
Through the internship you will get the opportunity to partner with Summit Adventure and learn the ins and outs of adventure-based ministry focused on serving. We want to train and equip young professionals who have a desire to become leaders in the outdoors. Therefore, this internship is focused on providing you with the tools and experience necessary to instruct in the backcountry and facilitate adventure components like rock climbing, rappelling and backpacking.
Depending on your interests the internship can be focused on one or a combination of the following concentrations, such as:
Wilderness-based leadership and facilitation
- Leadership, communication and group facilitation training in a wilderness setting
- Hard and soft skills related to backpacking, rock climbing, rappelling and mountaineering
- Assist head instructors with planning, preparing and leading backpacking and climbing courses ranging from day trips (a day of climbing or a day of hiking in Yosemite Valley) to 4-8 day backpacking trips in the wilderness
Expedition planning and logistics
- Work closely with Summit’s Program director in planning and preparing for summer courses
- Refine and manage Summit Adventure’s system for checking gear in and out before and after courses
- Assist in planning food, lodging and transportation for course participants
Development and non-profit management
- Assist the ride coordinator in planning Summit Adventure’s 40th annual Whitney Classic fundraiser. The Whitney Classic is a 138 mi bike ride in Lone Pine, CA that happens at the end of September. This includes working with donors, recruiting riders, finding sponsors, marketing the event etc.
- Assist in a number of other development projects in addition to the Whitney Classic
Social Media & Marketing
- Work with the Marketing Director to manage and create content for Summit’s Social Media accounts
- Create a monthly marketing calendar
- Connect with prior instructors and students via social media
- Create and post ads on social media for Semester Program, Whitney Classic and Summer Courses
Writing & Communications
- Serve as an editor for all content posted on Summit’s website and blog
- Create content for the Summit blog as well as find and contact potential contributors
- Work with Summit’s Executive Director to create a plan to advertise and sell his book
Videography and photography
- Take pictures and videos on Summit courses and programs
- Work with the Marketing Director to storyboard and create videos recapping courses and advertising programs
- Help create content for all social media platforms including the website
Staff and Community Care
- Help in planning Summit’s first local kids wilderness trip
- Work with Summit’s Lodge Manager in all AirBnB management and hospitality tasks
- Coordinate events and outreaches with the Summit staff and other local ministries like YWAM Yosemite and ACMNP
- Facilitate relationships and connection to support each other in ministry
The Outdoor Leadership Internship may qualify for academic credit through your college or university. Therefore, verifying and obtaining academic credit is the responsibility of the applicant. Please notify Summit Adventure if you plan to take oLITE for credit and we will support you in your efforts.
What to Expect…
The Outdoor Leadership Intern Training Experience involves a combination of experiences and training that include the following, in addition to responsibilities depending on your chosen concentration.
- One-on-one mentorship
- Opportunities for administrative training
- Adventure elements like mountaineering, rappelling, rock-climbing and backpacking
- Course Planning and participation (alongside a senior instructor) with a variety of courses that take place throughout the summer
- Leadership, communication, and group facilitation training
- Personal and spiritual development
- If academic credit is expected, the fulfillment of the specific course requirements
- Trips throughout the High Sierra (Yosemite Valley, Tuolumne, Yosemite Wilderness, Ansel Adams Wilderness…) during the summer
Because the Outdoor Leadership Internship is centered around you getting as much experience and exposure to adventure elements of courses as possible, you will have many opportunities to spend your off time exploring, rock climbing, hiking and camping.
- Applicants must be over 18 years of age
- Strong interest in outdoor ministry and education
- A passion to explore the natural world
- Comfortable with outdoor living
- Eagerness to learn and be challenged mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually
- Ability to fulfill physical demands of backpacking (carry a 40lb pack)
- Ability and eagerness to work with a team
- Organizational skills
- Previous camping or backpacking experience preferred
- Experience working with youth preferred
- Experience in one or more of the above concentrations strongly preferred
Cost, Compensation and Benefits
$1,500 is the total cost for the internship, which includes
- A 12-day expedition
- Ground transportation
- Other High Sierra trips and training throughout the summer
Although there is a fee for the internship, there are various compensation opportunities while living on base. These opportunities will be discussed during the application process.
Interns live with the rest of the Summit Adventure Staff at the base located on Bass Lake, about 1 hour outside of Yosemite Valley.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 31
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to call or email email@example.com | 559-642-3899